UX Soup for the Management Soul

UX design translated.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Give me a reason to install your app

Here's how you get someone to install your app: Give them a reason. Simple as that.


I just did my taxes online using H&R Block's Web app (which, since you might ask, was an overall good experience that I would recommend). Afterwards, they sent me a confirmation e-mail that my Federal return was accepted.



Excerpt from e-mail message: There are two ways to check the status of your refund: Download our free H&R Block Smartphone app for the iPhone, iPad, or Android. Open it, and select Refund Status to continue, or  visit irs.gov and click Where's My Refund?

Now, because I have a refund coming, my next question — mine and that of the other millions of people who have a refund coming — is Where's my money? Fortunately, there's an app for that. Which is not remarkable and not what I want to point out here. What is worth noting is that H&R Block seamlessly included in the e-mail an appeal to install their smartphone app, and it's exactly the kind of appeal that works.


  • It's not obnoxious or loud. Just text, not a promo.
  • It's specific: To get X, install our app.
  • It's presented in context: I just filed my return, and I'm due a refund, which I'm impatient to get my greedy little hands on.
  • It's honest. They included the option to just go to the IRS's Web site.

The kind of promo that doesn't work, and which I see too often, goes something like, “Hey, check out our cool app!” There's no incentive there, no reason why I should install it. Doesn't matter how much you make the promo “pop”. If there's no incentive, and you're not catching people at the right moment, it won't work.

Ask Per “Pierre” Jørgensen

Q: No comments? What gives?

A: Frankly, I don't have the patience for all the anonymous crap the comment field seems to attract. Since you, dear reader, are neither anonymous nor a purveyor of crap, please use my contact form. I promise to read it, and, if your critique is incisive or your question pertinent, I'll post it (with your permission, of course).